Urban Forest Stewards
Sign up for UFS today!
Urban Forest Stewards program is a chance for community members to be educated and trained on the workings of our urban forest ecosystem. From tree biology and tree care to placemaking and ecosystem services, these informative and interactive adult-education sessions are designed to inspire the confidence and actions required to become a steward of Austin’s urban forest.
Graduates of the course and workshops become active leaders in their communities and become a resource for the next generation of Urban Forest Stewards in Austin, Texas.
As an Urban Forest Steward, you will:
- Experience a deeper understanding of trees and how to care for them,
- Design and scope a stewardship project,
- Learn how to organize your partners and volunteers, and
- Explore the resources available for you to implement your stewardship project.
Urban Forest Stewards Course
This intensive three-month course includes two classes per month Tuesdays and Saturdays starting in January 2019. The course will culminate with the UFS Summit in which students will present the Stewardship Projects related to trees, urban forestry, or green infrastructure that they prepared over the three-month course.
Course dates include: January 15 & 19, February 12 & 16, March 26 & 30, and May 11. Tuesday classes will be lecture based from 6 pm to 9 pm. Saturday classes will be field based from 8:00 am-4:00 pm.
- See the 2017-2018 Course description and Syllabus for last year’s schedule and topics to get an idea of what will be covered.
- Registration is $100 per person, and the course is suitable for 16 years and up.
- Registration fees can be waived! Use the code “UFS2019”.
- Click here to register for the 2019 UFS course
Urban Forest Stewards Workshops
In addition to the UFS class, we will be offering 5 workshops that are a half day to full day focused on a specific skill set that Urban Forest Stewards need for their community projects. Topics include grant writing, project scoping, volunteer organizing, tree ID, and so much more.
- Visit our Events Calendar for upcoming scheduled workshops.
- The first and second workshops (tree ID walks) are free and suitable for all ages, though the second will be geared toward more advanced ID skills
- All other workshops have a suggested donation of $25 and are suitable for 16 years and up.
- Add your name to the Wait List and receive notifications when education courses are made available for registration.
Requests for specific courses may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Because of this class, I now see trees, really see them. I now know how to take care of them! The stewardship project made me apply what I was learning. And I got involved with my neighborhood, got to meet lots of people and started making a difference..”
~Pujeeta Chowdhary, graduate of the
Urban Forest Stewards Course