Urban Forest Stewards
Interested in taking our 2020-2021 Urban Forest Stewards course this fall? Sign up for our waitlist by clicking the button below and you’ll be the first to know when course sign-ups open in August 2020.
Urban Forest Stewards program is a chance for community members to be educated and trained on the workings of our urban forest ecosystem. From tree biology and tree care to placemaking and ecosystem services, these informative and interactive adult-education sessions are designed to inspire the confidence and actions required to become a steward of Austin’s urban forest.
Graduates of the course and workshops become active leaders in their communities and become a resource for the next generation of Urban Forest Stewards in Austin, Texas.
As an Urban Forest Steward, you will:
- Experience a deeper understanding of trees and how to care for them,
- Design and scope a stewardship project,
- Learn how to organize your partners and volunteers, and
- Explore the resources available for you to implement your stewardship project.
Urban Forest Stewards Course
This six-month course includes one class per month on Saturdays starting in October 2019. The course will culminate with the UFS Summit in which students will present the Stewardship Projects related to trees, urban forestry, or green infrastructure that they prepared over the three-month course.
Course dates include: October 12, November 9, December 14, January 11, February 8, March 14, and May 9. Classes will be from 10:00 am-1:30 pm and a mix of field and classroom activities.
- See the 2018-2019 Course description and Syllabus for last year’s schedule and topics to get an idea of what will be covered.
- Registration is $120 per person, and the course is suitable for 16 years and up.
- Registration fees can be waived! Check back here for scholarship options.
Urban Forest Stewards Workshops
In addition to the UFS class, we will be offering 5 workshops that are a a few hours to a full day focused on a specific skill set that Urban Forest Stewards may need for their community projects. Topics include tree ID, tree risk and management, community organizing, and so much more.
- Visit our Events Calendar for upcoming scheduled workshops.
- The first and second workshops (tree ID walks) are free and suitable for all ages, though the second will be geared toward more advanced ID skills
- All other workshops have a suggested donation of $20 and are suitable for 16 years and up.
- Add your name to the Wait List and receive notifications when education courses are made available for registration.
Requests for specific courses may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Because of this class, I now see trees, really see them. I now know how to take care of them! The stewardship project made me apply what I was learning. And I got involved with my neighborhood, got to meet lots of people and started making a difference..”
~Pujeeta Chowdhary, graduate of the
Urban Forest Stewards Course