TreeFolks is seeking a part-time bookkeeper to work 5 hours per week beginning September, 2016. Expertise in Quickbooks, nonprofit work experience and experience in standard accounting practices is required.
TreeFolks empowers Central Texans to build stronger communities through planting and caring for trees. In its 25 year history, TreeFolks has facilitated the planting of more than 2 million trees to shade urban streets, beautify neighborhoods, clean air and water, and reforest the Lost Pines in Bastrop County.
Bookkeeper Duties & Responsibilities:
Oversee and review accounts payable to be compliant with board approved budget.
Prepare deposits and monthly bank reconciliations.
Maintain subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating and posting transactions.
Maintain general ledger.
Maintain historical records by filing documents.
Prepare financial reports at the Directors request for board and budget meetings.
Work with third party auditor to produce and file 990 and audit.
Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements.
Enforce adherence to requirements; filing reports; advise management on needed actions.
Assists Operations Director with annual budgeting process.
Recommend efficient and financial accounting best practices to the Operations Director.
Maintain internal control strategies.
Support the development of a manual for accounting policies and procedures and oversee their operation.
Complies with federal, state and local requirements by studying requirements, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing reports, and advising management on needed actions.
Must have a strong commitment to support TreeFolks’ mission and code of conduct.
Bachelor degree in accounting or related degree preferred.
Minimum of 2 years’ experience in nonprofit auditing or accounting required.
Proficiency in QuickBooks or other accounting software required.
Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
Ability to develop, analyze, maintain and improve complex bookkeeping systems.
Knowledge of SFAS rules and regulations.
For consideration, please submit a resume, cover letter and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls.
The NeighborWoods Program Assistant is a temporary, full time position supporting the operations of the NeighborWoods tree distribution program. The Program Assistant will enter customer data, create tree distribution lists, track tree inventory, create printed materials, assist with tree deliveries and giveaways, and answer questions about the NeighborWoods program, TreeFolks, and trees in general over the phone and in person. The ideal candidate will be passionate and knowledgeable about trees, be able to effectively communicate program guidelines to program participants, energetic, and have a positive, enthusiastic attitude.
TreeFolks empowers Central Texans to build stronger communities through planting and caring for trees. In its 25 year history, TreeFolks has facilitated the planting of over 2 million trees to shade urban streets, beautify neighborhoods, clean air and water, and reforest the Lost Pines in Bastrop County. The NeighborWoods program is a partnership between TreeFolks and the City of Austin to grow and nurture the urban forest by providing free trees and tree care education to the public.
Customer Service & Education (50%)
- Respond to inquiries about the program and provide assistance to participants ordering trees
- Evaluate properties for tree planting sites using aerial imagery and standardized spacing
- Collect information from customers and enter data into mapping database
- Give advice on proper tree care, including planting and species selection
Distribution Preparation (20%)
- Create, print, label, organize and distribute program materials
- Maintain inventory of necessary program supplies to ensure availability for distribution
Distribute Trees (20%)
- Water, label, lift, organize, and carry trees stored in the office nursery
- Pick up and load trees from local tree farms nurseries using truck and trailer
- Deliver trees to residential properties or giveaway locations using TreeFolks truck and trailer
Special Events (10%)
- Assist with special events including community planting events, tree giveaways and educational workshops
- BA/BS Degree in a related field
- Minimum 1 year experience with customer service or other public facing position
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish
- Basic knowledge of and interest in trees and native plants
- Ability to repeatedly lift and carry 25+ lbs in all weather over uneven terrain
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Gmail, and Google maps
- Ability to interpret aerial photographs and maps to estimate available planting sites
- Ability to clearly and consistently communicate and abide by program guidelines
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to work weekends or evenings with adequate notice
- Maintain a Texas driver’s license in good standing
Length of Postion: September 1, 2016 – March 31, 2017
Compensation: $16.50 per hour, 40 hours per week. No benefits are provided with this position.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and 3 references to email@example.com. No phone calls.
Events Intern – Fall 2016
As Events Intern, you will work in partnership with the Development Director to coordinate fundraising events for TreeFolks. You will bring your organizational ability, communication skills, and love of a fast-paced environment to our growing nonprofit. The Events Intern will assist in vendor relations, securing donations, maintaining the event budget, community outreach, and other logistics as needed. This is a part time (10 – 15 hours), unpaid position that will correspond with the Fall semester (September – December). This position will report to the Development Director. You may receive academic credit for this internship, per the approval of your advisor.
TreeFolks empowers Central Texans to build stronger communities through planting and caring for trees. In its 25 year history, TreeFolks has facilitated the planting of more than 2 million trees to shade urban streets, beautify neighborhoods, clean air and water, and reforest Central Texas after natural disasters such as the Bastrop County fires and the Blanco River Memorial Day floods.
- Assist in planning TreeFolks fundraising events including the Hays County Kickoff (November 2016) and crowdfunding campaign
- Research and contact potential event vendors, request quotes, and work with Development Director in securing vendor services
- Research and contact potential in-kind donations which may include food, beverage, entertainment, and silent auction items
- Assist in volunteer recruitment for events
- Write promotional content for social media on channels including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Track event budgets and expenditures
- Assist in community outreach to ensure events are promoted among a diverse audience
- Assure TreeFolks and its mission, programs, products, and services are consistently presented in a strong, positive manner
- An appreciation for the environment and trees
- Ability to communicate clearly through written correspondence
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects and requests and prioritize according to schedule
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to work with a wide array of personality types and community partners
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite and WYSIWYG editors
- Familiarity with Emma, Squarespace, WordPress, and Salesforce recommended but not required
- Ability to contribute and work as a team member within the organization
Application Deadline: Open until filled
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.