The Education Assistant is a temporary, full time position supporting the operations of the Environmental Education and NeighborWoods programs by developing and implementing educational materials regarding trees and tree care. The ideal candidate will be passionate and knowledgeable about trees and the environment, interested in education, energetic, and have a positive, enthusiastic attitude. The Education Assistant reports to the Education Coordinator.
TreeFolks empowers Central Texans to build stronger communities through planting and caring for trees. In its 25 year history, TreeFolks has facilitated the planting of over 2 million trees to shade urban streets, beautify neighborhoods, clean air and water, and reforest the Lost Pines in Bastrop County. The Environmental Education program connects diverse communities through urban forest education to support the health of people and the trees on which they depend. The NeighborWoods program is a partnership between TreeFolks and the City of Austin to grow and nurture the urban forest by providing free trees and tree care education to the public.
- Assist with developing, coordinating, and promoting the TreeFolks Austin Tree Map, a web-based, citizen science and urban forest engagement project, with an emphasis on Neighborwoods recipients
- Actively recruit participants for Environmental Education program activities, focusing on NeighborWoods tree recipients
- Assist the Education Coordinator in developing engaging tabling materials, activities, and displays for kids and adults at events
- Assist the Neighborwoods Coordinator in answering questions about trees and tree care over the phone, email, and at events
- Give presentations about trees and tree care to community groups to promote the Environmental Education and NeighborWoods programs
- Coordinate with community groups receiving NeighborWoods trees to facilitate their participation
- Help respond to NeighborWoods inquiries during periods of peak demand
- Staff meeting, cross training, organization wide events, etc
- Other duties as assigned
- BA/BS Degree in a related field
- Minimum 1 year experience in education, public speaking, and/or customer service
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish preferred
- Basic knowledge of and interest in trees and native plants
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Gmail, and Google maps
- Ability to clearly and consistently communicate and abide by program guidelines
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Ability to work weekends or evenings with adequate notice
- Maintain a Texas driver’s license in good standing
Length of Position: This position is funded through April 2017. Position is open until filled.
Compensation: $16.50 per hour, 40 hours per week. No benefits are provided with this position.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and 3 references to email@example.com. No phone calls.