Adopt & Plant a FREE Tree!
5,000 free 5-gallon trees
for Austinites to adopt starting in October and continues through March.
Pick Up Your Tree at an In-Person Tree Adoption Event!
All of our adoption events are open to the public and no registration is needed — just show up during the event time! In-person events are the fastest way to get a tree. Tree availability and selection is first-come, first-served. The TreeFolks NeighborWoods free tree program is a partnership with the City of Austin Community Tree Preservation Division and Austin Energy.
If you would like to volunteer at an event, see the volunteer section below.
Tree Adoption Events | Eventos Para Conseguir un Árbol Gratis
- Saturday, February 25, 2023 | 11:00 am-3:00 pm
George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center: Black History Month Kid’s Day, 1165 Angelina St, Austin, TX 78702
- Applications are open to residents, small businesses, and community spaces who are either located in the City of Austin’s Full Purpose Jurisdiction, Austin Energy electricity customers, or both!
- Since tree care is a long-term commitment, applicants must commit to nurturing the tree, especially through regular watering for at least the first two years of establishment.
- Applicants must have enough space for the tree to grow and flourish. We follow the “Right Tree, Right Place” principle.
Tree Delivery Requests Currently Closed
Due to high volume of demand, we are currently not accepting applications for delivery. If you would like a tree please come to one of our in-person tree adoption events, or ask a family member or friend to attend for you.
We thank you for your patience as we work to distribute more trees than ever this year.
Applicants must submit a planting and care plan.
A few notes:
- While we will make every attempt to serve every eligible customer, we are also working to address green equity issues throughout the City of Austin. As a result, we will be focusing our efforts to make sure all Austinites have equal access to the benefits urban trees provide.
- Home delivery is free and contactless!
- Using Google Maps data, we evaluate your property and offer trees based on available space.*
- Approved applicants may choose from a list of available species.
Note: Folks who are currently on the waitlist for an at-home tree delivery are welcome to attend an in-person tree adoption event.
Caring for Your Tree
Caring for your new tree is critical in the first two years after planting it. During that time, your tree is working hard to establish itself. Watering and mulching it will help your tree to grow strong for years to come!
Tree planting instructions to ensure optimal growing conditions
NeighborWoods has distributed over 70,000 free trees to date!
The TreeFolks program, NeighborWoods, partners with the City of Austin to reduce energy consumption and lower the city heat index by expanding the tree canopy cover of Austin. NeighborWoods is proudly supported by Austin Energy and the Community Tree Preservation Division in the Development Services Department.