Become a TreeFolk
Would you like a job where you work to bring people and trees together? TreeFolks is a fun, professional workplace full of folks who love trees. We post our seasonal positions in late Summer and post our regular positions as they come available.
We offer internships for year-round specific projects. If you are a student but don’t see an internship for your skill set below, please email email@example.com to inquire about alternative projects with your cover letter and resume. These internships are unpaid but are applicable for course credit.
If you have a particular skill set, or would just like to plant some trees, visit our volunteer page for more opportunities.
Thank you for your interest in working with TreeFolks!
TreeFolks in Austin, TX
TreeFolks is an urban forestry non-profit organization that is committed to combating climate change in Central Texas through sustainable urban, rural and riparian reforestation using a community-based education program and volunteer planting model. We proudly partner with local governments, nonprofits, corporations, and private property owners to help care for and reforest Central Texas. This effort has led to more than 2.6 million trees planted in Central Texas on both public and private land. Our work preserves our quality of life by cooling the air, cleaning precious water, restoring lost habitat, sheltering us from the Texas sun, and fostering a healthy, connected community. Established in 1989, TreeFolks has grown to a staff of 10 full-time staff, 5 seasonal staff, and 4 interns. Learn more at www.treefolks.org.
TreeFolks is seeking an experienced visionary, innovative and collaborative leader with a supportive management style, strong organizational management background, and a healthy sense of humor that will engage and inspire both staff and diverse stakeholders to advance TreeFolks’ mission and strategic plan.
The ideal Executive Director candidate will be an authentic and inclusive leader with a strong commitment to building a climate-resilient Central Texas. The person will have proven experience successfully leading a program or organization, adept at working strategically with partners, and able to effectively communicate and engage a wide range of supporters, funders, decision-makers and stakeholders at the local level.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Strategic and Operational Leadership
- Provide direction and leadership toward achieving the organization’s mission, while maintaining the integrity of the organization
- Lead the overall operations and administration of the organization
- Expand and maintain the overall image and branding of the organization
2. People Leadership
- Hire, support and continually develop staff
- Liaise between the staff and the Board of Directors
- Report directly to the Board and work collaboratively with them to help it fulfill its governance function
3. Financial Management
- Prepare the annual budget for approval by Board and ensure the organization operates within that budget
- Oversee governance, financial policies and internal controls
- Direct financial planning and fundraising activities
4. External Relations
- Direct and expand the communication and education outreach of the organization, speaking at TreeFolks’ and other community or partner events
- Develop, maintain and expand relationships with key stakeholders and partners on community and local government levels
- Identify and cultivate potential donors and new sources of funding
Qualification & Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Passion for trees, the environment and combating climate change
- Demonstrably robust communication skills, particularly active listening and writing
- Proven innovative leadership to solve problems and create new solutions
- Demonstrably strong interpersonal qualities, such as emotional intelligence, cultural competence, charisma, diplomacy, flexibility, and grace under fire
- Proven ability to lead, collaborate, guide, support, manage and delegate to staff
- Proven community and partner relationship development
- Proven donor cultivation and networking skills, such as telling the organization’s story, building solid relationships and influencing/persuading others
- Proven visionary and strategic leadership to run a mature, growing organization with a foundation already in place
- Proven financial literacy
- Proven organizational management success and the ability to prioritize and oversee programs and relationships
- Demonstrable ability to quickly grasp the big picture of how TreeFolks operates at an urban and regional level
- A valid driver’s license and personal transportation
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary
- Ability to travel to annual state and national conferences
- Ability to carry 25lbs and sometimes participate in tree plantings within greenspace and along riparian zones.
- Forestry/ecology/environmental sciences background; Arborist certification a plus
- Knowledge of climate science and carbon offsets
- MBA/MPA/MSc degree
This is a full-time exempt position. Minimum salary is $70,000. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Medical, dental and vision insurance is included. Other benefits may be negotiable at time of hire.
- Job posted on: February 11, 2019
- Job location: Austin, Texas
- Deadline: 11:59 pm on March 25
- Phone interviews: April 1, onwards
- In-person interviews: April 10, onwards
- Final interviews/offers: April 22, onwards
- Ideal start date: June 3, 2019 (with flexibility)
- Local and national candidates with traditional or unique backgrounds are welcome
How to Apply
Inquiries and application materials should be submitted in confidence to ExecutiveCommittee@treefolks.org. No phone calls will be accepted.
To apply, please include a résumé and a cover letter that addresses: 1) Why you are interested in leading TreeFolks; 2) What you believe you bring to the position of Executive Director; 3) How your past accomplishments are relevant to this position; 4) Salary requirements; and 5) three references.
Click here for a downloadable PDF of the job description.