Adopt & Plant a Free Tree!
Reduce energy use, offset carbon, cool down the City, and grow something good to eat! TreeFolks’ NeighborWoods Program is providing 4,500 free 5-gallon trees for Austinites to adopt starting in October and going through March. If you want to join the movement to Keep Austin Rooted, planting trees is a great start.
How Do I Qualify?
- Applications are open to residents, small businesses, and community spaces located in the City of Austin’s Full Purpose Jurisdiction and Austin Energy electricity customers.
- Since tree care is a long-term commitment, applicants must commit to nurturing the tree, especially through regular watering for at least the first two years of establishment.
- Applicants must have enough space for the tree to grow and flourish. We follow the “Right Tree, Right Place” principle.
Not an Austin Energy customer nor resident living in Austin’s Full Purpose Jurisdiction? Check out our Sapling Days. There are no qualifications necessary to adopt a sapling.
How Do I Care For My Tree?
Caring for your new tree is critical in the first two years after planting it. During that time, your tree is working hard to establish itself. Watering and mulching it will help your tree to grow strong for years to come!
We conduct an annual survival study in which we randomly select trees to assess in vehicle inspections from the street. We won’t share your contact information with anyone or send you a bunch of unrelated emails. It really is totally free!
How to Participate
Apply for Home Delivery!
A few notes:
- While we will make every attempt to serve every eligible customer, we are also working to address green equity issues throughout the City of Austin. As a result, we will be focusing our efforts to make sure all Austinites have equal access to the benefits urban trees provide.
- Home delivery is free and contactless!
- Using Google Maps data, we evaluate your property and offer trees based on available space.
- Approved applicants may choose from a list of available species.
Attend a Curbside Adoption Event!
TreeFolks prides itself on strengthening communities through planting and caring for trees, and it’s within this same sentiment that our top priority right now revolves around the health and wellness of our volunteers, staff, and our surrounding community.
TreeFolks’ NeighborWoods Program is providing 500 free 5-gallon trees for Austinites to adopt at Austin Discovery School on October 9th from 9:30 A.M. to 2 P.M. All trees are a 5-gallon size and must be registered for two-weeks in advance to guarantee that you will receive a tree. Additional trees will be available as supplies last.
The Fine Print
To measure the success of the program, we conduct an annual survival study in which we randomly select trees to assess. In the event your tree(s) are selected we will follow up with you via email, phone call, and/or in vehicle inspections from the street. We won’t share your contact information with anyone or send you a bunch of unrelated emails. It really is totally free!
The TreeFolks program, NeighborWoods, partners with the City of Austin to reduce energy consumption and lower the city heat index by expanding the tree canopy cover of Austin. NeighborWoods is proudly supported by Austin Energy and the Community Tree Preservation Division in the Development Services Department. NeighborWoods has distributed over 70,000 free trees to date!
Have any questions?
We’d love to hear from you.
Phone: 737-241-TREE (8733)
NeighborWoods is Proudly Sponsored By: